National Karate Championships 2018
On July 14, 2018 - July 15, 2018
Competition | Coaches | Referees | Auckland and Northland | Central North Island | Lower North Island | Canterbury Westland | Otago Southland
The 2018 New Zealand National Karate Championships will be held in Wellington on 14-15 July.
- Saturday - 14/15 years, Under 21yrs, Seniors and Veterans
- Sunday - Children 13 years and under
- Each day will start with the youngest division first through to the oldest in Kata then Kumite.
Details of the tournament and entry is handled via Sportdata . If you have any difficulties using this system please email email@example.com.
In order to minimise the number of updates to draws, there will be no changes made to divisions or draws on the day unless due to an error by the Organising Committee. To support this, a strict timeline will be adhered to:
- Entries for this tournament close on Saturday 7th July.
- Draws will be posted online on Sunday 8th July.
- Coaches are required to check their competitors draws and to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any issues by Wednesday 11th July.
- Final Draws will be posted by Thursday 12th July.
Seedings will be based solely on the First, Second and Third place positions from last years National Championships. The Draw is then determined automatically by the Sportdata system with separation given to athletes from the same Club.
Downloads and Important Links
2018 New Zealand National Karate Championships on Sportdata
Karate NZ Specific Rules
Karate NZ follow the WKF Kata and Kumite Competition Rules. These are available on the Karate NZ website under the Competition section.
The following modifications to the WKF rules are in operation at Karate NZ events. This includes the New Zealand National Karate Championships.
- Divisions may be split into 3 levels. Development, Intermediate and Premier
- Development - Less than 5 Karate NZ tournaments AND less than 60% of the way to black belt. Eg. In a 10 Kyu system, less than 4th Kyu
- Intermediate - Less than 10 Karate NZ tournaments
- Premier - Open to all players
- Players cannot enter more than one level at the same tournament in the same discipline
- Non premier events will not be considered by Selectors regarding National Team and Squad selection
- Article 2 of the WKF rules stipulates that "Contestants must wear a white karate gi without stripes, piping or personal embroidery". Players in Development or Intermediate level competition may have personal embroidery on their Gi's, and their Belts. Players in premier divisions must follow the WKF rules.
- During the bow in at the beginning of tournament all players must be in Gi or Tracksuit and must present themselves correctly
- Development Kata Events are limited to Kihon Kata and Competitors can repeat each round.
- Heian 1-5
- Pinan 1-5
- Gekisai 1-2
- Intermediate Kata Events may use any kata from the official WKF list. (This list includes the above Development Kata). Repeat ABCABC. Ie. Competitors must know at least 3 different Kata to enter Intermediate level Kata competition.
- Premier Kata Events may use any kata from the official WKF list. (This list includes the above Development Kata). Repeats are not allowed.
- For Under 10 years there may not be premier divisions, in which case experienced athletes can enter Intermediate if available, or Development if not.
- Article 2 of the WKF rules stipulates that "All protective equipment must be WKF homologated". For Karate NZ competition, it is sufficient for the protective equipment to be of a WKF style.
- Appendix 10 of the WKF rules stipulates specific rules for childrens competition aged 10 to 13. For Karate NZ competition, the following rules will be used for all children aged 13 and below:
- For techniques to the head and neck (Jodan area) no contact is allowed.
- Any contact to the jodan area , however slight, in principle will be penalized.
- A correctly performed technique to the head or neck in principle will be considered a score at a distance up to 10 cm.
- The bout duration is one and a half minutes.
- WKF Children Chest Protector is required to be worn outside the Gi